Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard Restore Image - PowerPC Enhanced | 3.7 GBNOTE
Applications : Mac : English
Mac OS X 10.5.8 PowerPC-ONLY Restore Image
: This package is designed only for older PowerPC based Macintosh computers only.Preface:
As of Mac OS X 10.7.X, Apple dropped ALL support for PowerPC based applications and Macintosh based systems. This transition really began with Mac OS X 10.6 where 10.6 only would boot on Intel based Macintosh (but still run PowerPC binaries). Mac OS X 10.5.8 was the last release of the core system that would boot on any pre-Intel (PowerPC) based Macintosh systems.
In order to maintain a "unified" version of the core software, Apple utilized a technology in 10.5.X known as Unibin, which contains both Intel and PowerPC code in each program/module/library in the system of Leopard Mac OS X 10.5. This led to a bloated operating system for both Intel and PowerPC. Intel Macs would be able to later adopt a more streamline OS in 10.6 Snow Leopard, resolving this issue with newer Intel Macintosh machines. Mac OS 10.5.X on PowerPC, however, would be left with the bloated version as the last release of this operating system available to run.
This package's goal is to provide a "streamlined" (i.e. PowerPC only) version of Mac OS X 10.5.8 (last minor release) for Macintosh users who still utilize PowerPC based Macs. This is done through the following effort:
1. Install a full retail version of Mac OS X 10.5 (both Intel and PowerPC code) on a PowerPC based Mac
2. Apply all updates available to Mac OS 10.5 as of release date of this package (Mac OS X 10.5.8)
3. Strip all Intel code from ALL libraries, binaries, etc (even at the Mach/BSD Layer)
4. Resetting back to a core install (first time startup on next boot)
5. Repackage contents into a compressed archive for distribution.
The end result is a faster, cleaner running Mac OS X 10.5.8 for use on older PowerPC based Macintosh Systems that can be imaged over to any supported PowerMac/Powerbook G4 or G5 system.Benefits of utilizing this distribution of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
1. Smaller Footprint for core operating system (utilizes less hard drive space not having extra Intel code).
2. Faster boot/load time for your user experience. Since there is less binary code to read to perform basic operations, the overall user experience is enhanced, as the interface will feel more responsive.
3. Quick method to get up and running (restore image vs. full install + updates) on an older Macintosh that does not have an installed Operating System.
4. Feeling that your PowerPC based Apple investment still has life and use, knowing you're running the last supported Apple operating system and it has been enhanced for your older Mac.Requirements:
• PowerPC Based Macintosh G4 (867 MHz or faster) with 512MB ram or more
• or PowerPC Based Macintosh G5 with 512 MB ram or more
• Target hard drive of 10 GB or larger (formatted with Apple Partition Map / HFS+)
- Install consumes approx. 7 GB worth of PowerPC only data
• Some Disk Medium to hold 10.5.8 PPC-ONLY Image (anything with 5 GB or more free space)
- USB Flash drive (4 GB or larger, HFS or Fat32 formatted, NO NTFS)
- Second internal hard drive formatted HFS+
- Fire Wire Hard drive (HFS+)
• Some medium to be able to run Apple's Disk Utility to perform the restore operation
- Via the original 10.5 Install DVD
- Through a secondary Macintosh (Intel or PowerPC) which is able to slave in the target hard drive/volume disk (to the restore) as well as hold the restore image. Can be Leopard or higher